New Book FIRST OF THE YEAR: 2008 Publishes Hard-To-Find Essays By Controversial Critic ARMOND WHITE and Other Writers
Tuesday, October 28, 2008 — by Wow Jones
Was hopping around Strand Books in New York City yesterday looking through it’s “8 Miles of Books…” and came across the book, “First of The Year: 2008” in a bin. The book is a collection of essays from the
publication FIRST OF THE MONTH.
The book includes a few choice essays by controversial NY Press film critic Armond White. For those who purchase the book, you can get Armond White‘s take on…
1) Oliver Stone‘s film, “World Trade Center”
2) Actor Cuba Gooding Jr in the film, “Instinct”.
3) The Matrix movie trilogy
4) Rapper Jay-Z‘s “Blueprint” album/CD
5) Steven Spielberg‘s “War Of The Worlds” film.
6) Singer Morrissey‘s concert at The World Famous Apollo Theater In New York City and an interpretation of the “You Are The Quarry” album/CD.
The book also includes an essay by rapper/Public Enemy frontman Chuck D on the passing of James Brown.
Other contributors to the book include, Fredric Smoler, Benj DeMott (who also edited the book), Charles O’Brien, Amiri Baraka, Sheldon Wolin, Jean Bethke Elsthain, Kurt Vonnegut, Paul Berman, Charles Keil, Philip Levine, Kate Millett, Lorenzo Thomas, Russell Jacoby, Adolph Reed and others.
—The Wow Jones Report