Tuesday, April 22, 2008 — by Wow Jones
There are some guys who eat thunder and crap lightning. Current Jackson, Mississippi Mayor Frank Melton sure sounds like one of those guys. I just read a fascinating profile/story on him in the latest issue of OZONE Magazine.
The story “Baptized In Dirty Water:The Real Hip Hop Mayor? by Maurice G. Garland (Mar 2008 issue of OZONE Magazine with Webbie on the cover) is a unforgettable account of a man I’d never heard of. It concerns a man who:
- locks rappers up
- shut down Hip-Hop nightclubs
- is a chairman of the BMI Performing Rights Committee
- was CEO and principal owner of Jackson’s famed WLBT-TV3. He bought the TV station for $23 million in 1984 and sold it in 2002 for over $200 million.
- prior to buying it, WLBT-TV allegedly supported segregation, refused to cover Civil Rights Demonstrations in the 1960s, sold airtime to the KKK, had little to no programming including African-Americans even though they made up a sizable portion of the viewing population, and had it’s license revoked by the FCC in 1969.
- Frank Melton purchased billboards and plastered the faces of known drug dealers and a had a hotline to call if you saw them doing anything shady.
- hosted the TV show THE BOTTOM LINE — where he’d call out slacking city officials and neighborhood drug dealers by name
- was appointed Head of The Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics by former Governor Ronnie Musgrove
- was a certified deputy in Angelina County, TX in the 1970s.
- openly carried weapons, and carries a weapon on him at ALL times.
- was put on probation for carrying gun to the campus of Mississippi College School Of Law in 2006.
- walks around the city dressed in camouflage
- frequently sets up random roadblocks to conduct drug searches
- tore down drug houses with sledgehammers
- pulled over school buses on the freeway and got the children to hug him cause he “needed some”
- has an ongoing dispute with ex-con/rapper Albert “Batman” Donelson
- posted up on Batman’s mother with a shotgun in reponse to death threats
- frequent visitor to nightclub UPPER LEVEL — which according to the article was bought by Starsky Red
I’ll write more later. But you HAVE to read this article.
–The Wow Jones Report